Elastomeric Moorings Testing At Full Scale, Galway Bay Ocean Energy Test Site
Technology From Ideas
One of the main engineering challenges for floating marine renewable energy devices is the design of reliable, yet cost-effective mooring solutions for the harsh and dynamic marine environment. The mooring system must be able to withstand the ultimate limit state during storm conditions as well as the fatigue limit state due to the highly cyclic wave induced motions.
One of the most critical components for all floating offshore devices is the mooring system. Some of the key points which need to be accommodated are:
- Survival in extreme load conditions
- Allowing dynamic motions under operational conditions for power conversion.
- Long-term reliability
TfI's Mooring Tethers significantly Reduce:
- Mooring Forces
- Mooring System Costs
- Noise Emissions
and can be used on a wide number of marine installations:
- Navigation & Research Buoys
- Marine Energy
- Oil & Gas Installations
SmartBay Ireland Project Support:
In October 2014 SmartBay Ireland will integrate the TFI Elastomeric Mooring system onto a data buoy which will be deployed at the Galway Bay Ocean Energy Test Site for a period of 6-9 months which will represent testing at full scale for the project. Throughout this period SmartBay will provide the following supports:
- Operations and Technical Support
- Software development facilities and the SmartBay data platform for data collection and dissemination.
- Access to SmartBay IT infrastructure and data storage facilities.
- Access to Galway Bay Ocean Energy Test Site and associated communications infrastructure
- SmartBay Data acquisition expertise
TFI Elastomeric Mooring
SmartBay Data Buoy configured for Elastomeric Mooring Test
TFI Dynamic Mooring Simulation